Public institutional medicine was first established in Jamaica with the opening of
the Kingston Public Hospital on December 14, 1776. The hospital was originally located at
the corner of East and North Streets where the
land with a small hospital for slaves was converted into a male hospital, and an old
slave yard converted into a female ward. The property was purchased for ₤800 and
another ₤1,000 was granted by the government for the maintenance of the institution.
The site of the Kingston Public Hospital was regarded as unfavourable from the time of its
establishment as it was intersected by streets and lanes. Maintenance soon became a burden
to the Government and by 1778 the annual provision of ₤1,000 was reduced by 50 per cent (50%)
to five hundred pounds and a special tax was levied on every ship entering Kingston Harbour
to provide for its financing. Another grant of One Thousand Four Hundred and Fifty Six pounds,
Eight Shillings and two-pence (₤1,456.82) was made to rebuild the hospital in 1784, after it
was destroyed by a hurricane.
KPH originally catered to Jamaica’s white population. The slaves were treated on the estate in
what was then referred to as a “hot houses” until 1838, after emancipation, when they were
accepted by the hospital. Initially, KPH was designed as an almshouse as well as a hospital,
and later became a mental asylum, however, the asylum was later relocated to Rae Town,
St. Andrew in 1850.
Nine years later the hospital began offering 24- hour service seven days per week. Following
the 1907 earthquake, a number of tents were erected in the hospital to accommodate the injured.
A number of buildings were added in the 20th century, the original design of which catered to
the tropical climate in which the facility is located. In 1936, the then Senior Medical Officer,
Dr. Westmoreland separated surgical from medical cases for the first time.
Four (4) new operating theatres were built in 1962, in addition to the two (2) previously built
in 1928. The current Accident and Emergency Block with four (4) floors including the ground
floor was completed in 1982. Accommodation at the hospital up to the latter part of 1974 was
sixteen wards, a bed capacity of four hundred and eighty (480).
A spate of fires in the early 1980’s destroyed a number of buildings, thus reducing the bed
capacity from the original number. A major redevelopment exercise was completed in June 2000
which saw a number of buildings being redesigned and or refurbished. The buildings that were
destroyed by fire were demolished and two (2) new ward blocks constructed. In addition to
the improvement in the physical facilities, a number of new state of the art equipment was
From its humble beginnings KPH has evolved into the largest multidisciplinary hospital in the
Government Health Service as well as the largest trauma centre in the public hospital system.
Today the hospital has a bed capacity of five hundred (500) and offers a wide range of specialist
diagnostic and rehabilitative services, as well as curative services in medicine, surgery and
related sub-specialties. Kingston Public Hospital remains the main provider of critical
services such as Haemodialysis, kidney transplant and Radiotherapy in Jamaica and the English
Over fifty thousand (50,000) patients are seen in the Accident and Emergency Department each
year, over twelve thousand (12,000) admissions and in excess of ninety-five thousand (95,000)
patients visiting the multidisciplinary outpatient department. The institution continues to
be regarded as one in which sophisticated surgery is practiced on several scales and continues
to contribute significantly to surgery in Jamaica.
The vision of the Kingston Public Hospital is to provide service by qualified, efficient,
courteous and highly motivated work teams in a clean, secure and attractive environment.
In fulfillment of our vision we will:
At the Kingston Public Hospital, quality is the delivery of timely, efficient, courteous and
cost effective service which is accessible to all.
The following services are provided by the hospital:
Donations of Medical Equipment and Supplies as well as Computer Equipment are always
welcome. If you wish to make a donation, you may do so by contacting the Chief
Executive Officer at the institution of interest. Contact information is listed
Kingston Public Hospital
Ph: (876) 922-0210-9
Fax: (876) 967-3739, 967-1636
Jamaica, West Indies
Ph: (876) 922-0210-9
Fax: (876) 967-3739, 967-1636
Days Open: 24-hour service daily (Patient Services)
Clincs: 8:30a - 3:00p (Weekdays)
Office Hours: (Administrative Services)
Mon. - Thur.:8:30a - 5:00p
Fri.: 8:30a - 4:00p
Please enter your username and password below to gain access to staff related resources!
Report emergencies such as an outbreak or during a
period of natural disaster.
Get the latest information about staff training
opportunities within the South East Regional Health Authority!
Search our job bank or access information on procedures
& policies governing employees of SERHA.